Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Birthday Hesitations to a Birthday Celebration


I have never been one for birthday celebrations as an adult for a few reasons.
  •         My birthday falls around and sometimes on Mother’s Day.
  •         It is during the peak of graduation season.
  •         It was right after school ended for the year.
  •         I don’t fool with a lot of people.
  •         People will disappoint you by not showing up.
  •         It is just another day.

However, this year I decided to put all of that aside, make adjustments, and throw myself a birthday party to celebrate turning 30! I started planning my party over a year before it happened. I know people around me were ready for it to happen because I talked about it A LOT! I’m a planner and made use of all that time to plan the perfect party for me.



My inspiration for the party was Beyoncé’s
2016 half time performance. It made me feel
a sense of pride to be a young black woman and I wanted to celebrate that feeling. I thought I was going to dress up like one of the dancers but my 30 year old body isn’t where I want it to be for all of that ….yet! 


It took me at least six months to pull my inspiration together, decide on a theme (I'm 30 & proud), find someone to design the invitation and work with another woman to decide the decorations. It was an enjoyable experience. I ended up working with other young black women to make it all become a reality and that is exciting. I wanted to showcase the talents of my fellow black women to pull off this event and they did not disappoint.



My 30th Birthday was the best birthday in recent memory even though my hesitations for celebrating did impact the day. I ended up delaying the party a week because of Mother’s day. The party was the same day as high school graduation in my hometown. I don’t have many friends that live locally and some of the few I do fool with didn’t show up.


You know who did show up? Some of my friends who live out of state! 
Five folks spent 
hundreds of dollars to celebrate my birthday with me! Travel to Arkansas is not cheap and I don’t encourage my friends to visit because of the cost even though I love hosting people, well people I like. I had so much fun showing them Little Rock and experiencing local attractions with them. Spending time with them may have been more enjoyable than the actual party. 


Now don’t be mistaken I had a GRAND time at my party. The venue was great, the décor was on point, the food was tasty, and the DJ had me dancing all night. Granted I did send him a list of songs that I enjoy. People that know me know I like to dance and dancing the night away with friends and family was a great way to bring in my thirties. 


4 comments:

  1. I am so happy to celebrated yourself on your 30th birthday. Happy Belated Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the pictures and reading your blog just took it to another level. I am so proud of you for celebrating yourself and especially your willingness to celebrate the talents of others in the process. Love you, cuz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too! Also, thanks for checking out the blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Just reading this. Nice, very nice. Kudos on all of it!

    ReplyDelete