Friday, May 13, 2016

My Birthday Wish



One day out of the year people receive Happy Birthday messages on their Facebook page from friends, family, and acquaintances. Well today is my turn and before you post that nice note I would like to share something with you…

"Everybody can be great because everybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. ... You need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The quote above is one of my favorites! Being a servant is one thing that brings me great joy.
In 2006 less than a year after Hurricane Katrina I had my first experience with alternative breaks in New Orleans, Louisiana. You may be wondering “What exactly are alternative breaks?”  An alternative break is a trip (usually during spring, fall, or summer break) where a group of college students engage in direct service and reflection. That experience had an impact on my life and was one of the main reasons I looked at New Orleans as a place to further my education years later.

Currently I am back in New Orleans attending a conference that is focused on the journey towards justice by creating change through partnerships. And just a couple of weeks ago I was attending a Break Away board meeting in Atlanta.  Break Away is a national non-profit organization that promotes the development of quality alternative break programs. It’s interesting how things connect in life.

So if you feel inclined to help me celebrate this day near or far I ask that you to join me in supporting Break Away by sending a donation along with your birthday greeting. J

Lastly, the countdown starts today for something special. Only 365~ days left! 

No comments:

Post a Comment